3M Optical Systems: Handling Corporate Entrepreneurship
MST550 – Capstone Teacher Jack Raiton HBSP Circumstance #395-017
1 ) What techniques make 3M such an progressive company? installment payments on your What is Virtually any Wong's position as the OS Unit's general director? How powerful has he been? several. What is Paul Guehler's position as section vicepresident? Just how effective features he been? 4. What should Andy Wong perform with the screen AFE? In the event he gets the AFE, will need to Guehler finance it?
• • • • • • • • • • • The Situation Backdrop of 3M Corporation Inner Context at 3M Corporation Background of Optical Systems (OS) The item is Born The merchandise is Reborn Wong's Choices Guehler's Alternatives Wong's Role/Effectiveness Guehler's Role/Effectiveness Desimone's Role
The 3M Corporation's Optical Devices (OS) organization unit has to decide if they should proceed while using deployment of the new computer privacy display despite two previous marketing failures.
Backdrop of 3M Corporation
• 100 Years of Innovation Very Diversified Global Company • " High-Tech”: Spends twice the U. S. Market Average upon R& G (6-7% of sales) • Strong emphasis on new products and technologies • Fosters person's innovation within the workforce (" 15% rule”)
Internal Context at 3M Corporation
• Respect intended for the individual
– " Stimulate ordinary people to create extraordinary performance”
• Supporting policies/practices
– 15% bootleg rule – " Make a little, sell a little”
• Excessive standards, stretch out objectives
– 10% revenue growth, twenty percent PBT, 27% ROCE – 30% revenue from new releases
Internal Context at 3M Corporation…cont.
• Acceptance of " well-intentioned failure” • Share/leverage resources – " Technology is company”
History of Optic Systems (OS)
• OPERATING SYSTEM Track Record (1979-1990)
– Shaped in 1979 through consolidation of several 3M optical technology – Skilled 11 year microlouver expansion effort with minimal items – Shed between 3 to 5...